Lookout and Trail Maintenance • Lime Kiln Trail
Description: The Lime Kiln trail is officially
open. The one-way distance to the end of the trail is about 3.6
miles. From the trailhead to the river is about one and a half
From there to the Lime Kiln is just over a mile, and
then it is about a mile from the kiln to the end of the trail,
where the river takes a sharp bend to the south.
Directions: Drive to Granite Falls (map)
and go all of the way through town to the end by the High School.
Instead of turning left to go on the Mountain Loop Hwy, turn right
on S. Alder Avenue and go south until you get to a Tee and turn
left on E. Pioneer Street which becomes Menzel Lake Road (signs
says it goes to Lake Rossinger, [Old Anderson Road]). Turn left
on Waite Mill Road. After the school bus turn around, stay left
on gravel road that climbs uphill. You will come to a fork where
both roads have signs that say Private Road. Just a few dozen yards
before that on the left is white metal gate giving entry to a 20
car parking area at the trailhead. .
parking entry is signed.
Route: The trail is well signed. Note restrictions.
Maps: USGS Granite Falls, 1989,
Green Trails Granite Falls. A hiker supplied a GPS-tracking but
is certain that he did not start at the correct place (the track
was made prior to the completion of the trail)..
A progression of USGS and USFS maps show the historical development
around the lookout. Colors have been used to highlight select,
man-made features of interest. Blue = items spanning the years.
Lime green = items missing in later years. Red = items appearing
in later years. Brown = trails or railroads that become roads (after
a fashion). The coloring is by no means comprehensive.
A USFS Mt.Baker-Snoqualamie National Forestmap of
1962 shows a trail appears to go to some building near the kiln
but doesn't seem to be close to the current trail.
The USGS Stilaguamish, 30', 1899 map has
trails all over the place going to cabins? Note the older spelling
of Stillaguamish. The Northern Pacific Railroad, Monte Cristo
spur can be seen in the valley. Pilchuck was a fork in the road
along Purdy Creek. The city of Granite Falls was not quite as big
as it is now.
The USGS Stillaguamish, 30', 1946 map is
not much different than the 1899 map.
By 1956, everyone in those cabins must have moved to Granite Falls,
as the city is bigger and the cabins are gone in the USGS Granite
Falls, 15', 1956 map. Wayside mine
on the north side of Iron Mountain seems to become an open pit
quarry by 1989. In none of the historical maps is the location
of the Lime Kiln apparent.
History: Not surprisingly, the Lime Kiln "trail" was established
by operators of a lime kiln a long time ago. Don't disturb the
Images: Lime Kiln Photos
Activity: LOTM worked on this long-abandoned trial on National
Trails Day, 2001. See photos of the work.