Mountaineers.org EverettMountaineers.org
Lookout and Trail Maintenance
Trail
Work
Mt. Pilchuck Lookout
Three
Fingers
Lookout
Heybrook
Lookout

What we maintain

The Everett Mountaineers Lookout and Trail Maintenance (LOTM) Committee has a long history of fire lookout restoration and maintenance, and trail maintenance, in the Cascades. We work with the Forest Service and State Park service on three local lookout buildings. And we work with several agencies on trail maintenance. Give back!

Trail Maintenance

In addition to lookout restoration and maintenance, The Everett Mountaineers has been active in trail maintenance for many years. Working originally with the U.S. Forest Service in small groups of volunteers, clearing popular trails of brush and replanting trampled meadows bordering alpine lakes, in recent years the LOTM Committee has sponsored and coordinated 100+ volunteer work parties to commemorate National Trails Day. The Branch's efforts on National Trails Day has won the respect of non-profit organizations and land management agencies, while improving the quality of designated trails, and constructing new ones.

Sign up for an Everett LOTM trip

Mt. Pilchuck Lookout

Lookouts near Everett. X have buildings, flags are former lookout sites

Only 20 miles from downtown Everett, Mt. Pilchuck (el. 5,324') is right in our back yard. A very popular trail heads up from the former skiers parking area. Washington State Parks and The Everett Mountaineers maintain the historic lookout building. We coordinate volunteers to maintain of Pilchuck Lookout. In 1989, the Everett Mountaineers restored the building. 105 people spent 10,000 hours, with help from Snohomish County Search and Rescue and Army Reserve helicopters.

Getting there

Click for more

History of Mt. Pilchuck lookout building

Click for more

Historic Pilchuck Maps

Click for more

Three Fingers Lookout

Three Fingers work party

In the mid-1980s, The Everett Mountaineers restored the lookout on the southern summit (6,850') of Three Fingers. Three Fingers photo collection #1 and collection #2. Three Fingers lookout is on the National Register of Historic Places. During restoration in 1986, these photos were submitted to the National Park service .

Getting there

Note: Some of the roads have been washed out in recent years. Please check with the forest service for latest conditions. Click for more directions.

Historical Maps of Three Fingers

Click for more

History of lookout maintenance

First article in the Everett Mountaineers Newsletter on repair efforts appeared September, 1986.

Heybrook Lookout, by Brian Booth

Heybrook Lookout

Heybrook Lookout is on Heybrook Ridge just east of the town of Index. Mt. Index is the predominate view from the lookout. The committee wrapped up an eight year-long project in 2002. Hundreds of volunteer hours, and thousands of dollars were donated by businesses and organizations, to restore the lookout, which sits at the top of a 70-foot tower.

Getting there

From Everett, follow US 2 east for 37 miles (approximately 2 miles east of the steel bridge crossing the Skykomish River) to the trailhead (elev. 850 ft), located on the north side of the highway just after entering Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. (WTA hiking guide for Heybrook trail)

Follow the 1.3 mile maintained trail, gaining ~850' to the lookout.

Heybrook Lookout History

Click for more

Historic Heybrook area maps

Click for more

Lime Kiln Trail

Map of Lime Kiln and Robe Canyon trails

Note: check with Snohomish county to make sure the trail is open.

The Lime Kiln trail is on a route used from 1892 to 1934. The 3.6 mile trail was opened in 2007 by volunteer labor including the Everett Mountaineers. The Everett and Monte Cristo railroad traveled part of the trail, and the lime kiln provided needed material for the Everett Smelter and paper mills. From the trailhead to the river is about one and a half miles. From there to the Lime Kiln is just over a mile, and then it is about a mile from the kiln to the end of the trail, where the river takes a sharp bend to the south. Over a hundred years ago, the E&MCRR continued across a bridge, through tunnel #1 (a.k.a. "The Kissing Tunnel"), and on to the ghost mining town Monte Cristo.

Images

Lime Kiln Photos

LOTM worked on this long-abandoned trial on National Trails Day, 2001. See photos of the work.

Getting there

Click for more

History

Not surprisingly, the Lime Kiln "trail" was established by operators of a lime kiln a long time ago. Some of the route is the old railroad route to Monte Cristo. Please don't disturb the artifacts. Robe Canyon history has more information.

Historic Maps of the Lime Kiln area

Click for more

LOTM Committee

Click for more

Footnotes to historical information

1 Lookouts, Firewatchers of the Cascades and Olympics, 2nd ed. Ira Spring and Byron Fish, 1996
2 Fire Lookouts of the Northwest, 3rd ed. Ray Kresek, 1998
3 Cascade Alpine Guide, 2nd ed. Fred Beckey, 1996
4 USFS website, Heybrook Lookout trail

5Map color scheme:

LOTM information: LOTM@EverettMountaineers.org
The Everett Mountaineers, P.O. Box 1848, Everett, WA 98206
Sign up at club web site: Mountaineers.org
Everett Branch home page
Webmaster: